Friday, March 19, 2010

voice recognition systems

We'll all know what they are.

robot voice on the other end of your phone call (from here on out I'll use a more technical term- "the robot"): "If you'd like to pay your bill over the phone, please say yes. If you'd like to hear more options, say no."

me: "yes."

the robot: "I'm sorry, please say that again."

me: "Yes."

the robot: "Please repeat. Would you like to pay your bill now?"

me: "YES!!!! yes. Si. Da. Oui, oui. all that jazz- just LET ME PAY!"

the robot: "Thank you for choosing to pay now. We accept visa or mastercard."

me: "Mastercard."

the robot: "I'm sorry. What card will you use?"

me: "For crying out loud- there are only two choices. They sound nothing alike. MASTERCARD!"

the robot: "Thank you for choosing to upgrade our services. You will now be charged an additional fee for the ultimate cable/phone package. Please hold while we transfer you to one of our customer service representatives..."

me: you've gotta be kidding me, right now. nevermind. (click)

We've all had these kinds of conversations, yeah? Talking with the fake operators and speech recognition systems is a joke. But, who am I to critique thriving businesses? I mean, they are thriving. I'd organize a Ghandi-like sit-in, but then, the other protesters would want to keep occupied by watching T.V. and since you just witnessed me get upgraded unwillingly, I'd have to share my new and improved channel package.

No comments:

Post a Comment